Another interesting development that has been doing the rounds this week is of Sony Corp, which owns Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) and Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries-owned TV18 Broadcast getting into a joint venture with which house all the entertainment assets of both the companies. This venture will see Sony own a majority 51% stake, while TV18 will own the remaining 49%.

As a part of the deal, the two companies will transfer 100% of SPN, 51% of TV18’s share in Viacom18 and 100% of Jio Studios business to the new entity. The talks are currently ongoing with regards to the structure of the deal while the foundation of the deal is prepared.

The talks of takeover might be doing the rounds, but the bigger picture tells a different story with the big heads at play looking to form a much larger partnership. The biggest takeaway for all parties involved in the deal and also the people in the industry and the viewers will be that, the combined entity will own 63 TV channels, two video streaming services (Voot and Sony LIV), four film studios, and two digital content studios, making it an entertainment goliath with the largest share of voice among all the networks in India.

Even when it comes to the OTT platforms or film studios, the deal would benefit the parties involved immensely and if all goes well, we could be see them coming together to produce some great content, which will not only be limited to films but also for the OTT platforms and TV channels.

A deal of this magnitude has never been seen on even envisioned in the entertainment industry till date and that’s what makes it such a massive head-turner. Imagine a place which dictates everything the consumers will eventually consume. That’s the vision that will surely put off a lot people but at the same time solidify a lot of blind spots in each other’s overall individual goals of the past.

The possibilities right now, seem endless. But for now, all we can do is just wait and watch.

By – Amul Vikas Mohan

http://supercinema.co.in/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Amul-Vikas-Mohan.jpghttp://supercinema.co.in/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Amul-Vikas-Mohan-150x150.jpgSuper CinemaEditorialBollywood Trade Magazine

Comments

comments