51st IFFI International Competition Section
51st International Film Festival of India is going to be held at Goa from 16 to 24 Jan this year due to covid. Earlier it used to be held in the month of November every year. This year the Film festival is going to be organized in hybrid format. While about 200 guests will be attending the film festival in Goa, physically others will be joining it on line. The best of the feature length fiction films from all over the world are selected to compete in this section. It is one of the most important sections of the festival that features some of the best films of the year and these 15 films compete for the Golden Peacock and other awards.
The movies that form the part of this section include
1. The Domain by Tiago Guedes (Portugal)
2. Into The Darkness by Anders Refn (Denmark)
3. February by Kamen Kalev (Bulgaria, France)
4. My Best Part by Nicolas Maury (France)
5. I Never Cry by Piotr Domalewski (Poland, Ireland)
6. La Veronica by Leonardo Medel (Chile)
7 Light For The Youth by Shin Su-won (South Korea)
8. Red Moon Tide by Lois Patiño (Spain)
9 Dream About Sohrab by Ali Ghavitan (Iran)
10 The Dogs Didn’t Sleep Last Night by Ramin Rasouli (Afghanistan, Iran)
11. The Silent Forest by KO Chen-Nien (Taiwan)
12. The Forgotten by Daria Onyshchenko (Ukraine, Switzerland)
13. Bridge by Kripal Kalita (India)
14 A Dog And His Man by Siddharth Tripathy (India)
15 Thaen by Ganesh Vinayakan (India)
Generally there are only 2 Indian films in this section, but this year 3 Indian films are competing.
The above films will compete for various categories of awards, viz:
1. Best Film (Golden Peacock) – this award carries a cash prize of Rs. 40,00,000/- to be shared equally between the Director and Producer. The Director will receive the Golden Peacock and a Certificate in addition to the cash component. The Producer will receive a Certificate in addition to the cash component.
2. Best Director: Silver Peacock, Certificate and a cash prize of Rs.15,00,000/-
3. Best Actor (Male): Silver Peacock, Certificate and a cash prize of Rs10,00,000/-
4. Best Actor (Female): Silver Peacock, Certificate and a cash prize of Rs10,00,000/-
5. Special Jury Award: Silver Peacock, Certificate and a cash prize of Rs 15, 00,000/- given to a film (for any aspect of the film which the jury wishes to award/acknowledge) or an individual (for his/her artistic contribution to a film). The award, if given to a film, will be given to the Director of the film.
As a Jury member of the India Panorama for the selection of the feature films for 51st IFFI, I have seen all the 3 Indian films in the Competition section. These films were selected for the International competition after lot of detailed deliberations amongst the preview committee/jury members. These are brilliant films and I am sure that at one of them will get Silver/Golden Peacock award.
I congratulate Govt. of India/ Ministry of I&B and State Govt. of Goa/Entertainment Society of Goa for taking great courage of holding 51st IFFI at Goa when the entire world is passing through very tough times due to Corona pandemic. I wish great success of 51st IFFI.